Sunday, July 10, 2011

My new home

Hi everyone; sorry it has been a couple of days since my last post. These past couple of days have been very long and busy. My mom and I landed in Houston Friday evening about 5:00pm. The flight wasn't too bad; we had a delay in San Fran airport but I was able to catch up on some sleep. Janet and Jan picked us up at the airport and took us to our hotel which is right next to the medical center. We went and got some yummy Italian food and then they showed us around the area. The town around the medical center is very beautiful; there are a lot of pretty green trees, beautiful fountains and cute shops around. There are also a couple of universities so there are a lot of college stuents and med students that live here. Hopefully that will make it easier for me and Cassidy to meet people.

On Saturday Janet picked us up in the morning (we slept in until 10:00 am!) and took us to this neat restaurant called Hungry's where we met Jan. My cousin Angel from Austin was driving up to meet us in Houston for the weekend, so before she got here my mom, Janet and I went driving around the neighborhoods looking for available apartments. Jan helped us find a couple of nice apartments and townhouses to call as well. After driving around a bit we met up with Angel and checked out this really nice, brand new apartment that is very close to the medical center. It is a little expensive so we are going to see if they have a 1 bed room available instead of getting the 2 bedroom. We have some places to see today so hopefully we find a nice place that is within the budget and near the med center. Cross your fingers!

Today Angel is picking us up and we will probably house hunt some more and then Janet will show us MD Anderson in the afternoon. Janet has CLL so she knows where the leukemia center is and approximately where my appointment wil be tomorrow morning. The hospital is massive so it will be good to know where we will be going so we don't get lost at 7:00 in the morning.

A friend of mine's uncle lives in Houston and they have agreed to let us borrow one of their cars for however long we need it. We will call them today to pick up their car which we will use until Cassidy's car gets here. That will be a big help. :)

I have been starting my exercises again...I am very weak so I need to try and develop a routine to do every morning. What I really hope to get and really need is an apartment with a gym in it; that way I can easily do my rehab and Cassidy and stay healthy while he is working and taking care of me. Unfortunately we found out yesterday that when he transfers to the Apple store in Houston he will get a deduction in pay and they won't let him be part-time. So we need to decide if he should work full-time and work 40 hour weeks and not be with me that much or get an even more deduction in pay and work part-time. It all depends on what the plan is for me, if/when i will be in the hospital and how much our rent will be. I hate that I can't work, go to school, or help out at all.

We have been lucky to have family so close and new friends to help us out and show us around. I am getting used to Houston and I do like the area we are in. Once Cassidy gets here and we have a car I think we will have fun exploring this huge city.

I will update tomorrow after my long day at the medical center. 7:30 am to about 5:00 pm! Hopefully only good news will be heard and a plan can be made :) i like having a plan.

I love you all and wish us luck finding the perfect place for us.

-Savy

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment!