Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sun kissed and tired legs

Hello!

So I know on my last post I said I would be writing more often but let me just explain the craziness of the month of May.

I have been living in Kailua on the island of Oahu with Cassidy and 3 other roommates. It is a pretty large house so even with 5 people under 1 roof it wasn't all that crowded. One of my roommates is my old roommate's father who is recently divorced and needed help finding a place since he had just moved here from Maine. Cass found this house back in October and we moved in and found 2 other roommates to help make the rent cheaper since the house cost $3,300 to rent (yes, I know...extremely expensive!). It has been lovely living in Kailua because it is away from the city and only a 10 minute walk away from the beach! Zoe and I have had many good walks and runs to the beach and it has been a big help to getting my legs stronger again and getting active. In this household me and Cass have been being the ones that send the rent checks to our landlord and sending in the checks for the bills. Ever since October it has been a stressful event every 1st of the month to collect rent and utilities money; and every month someone always paid us late. My ex-roommate's dad is 50 years old and always gave rent money and utilities money late, drinks way too much alcohol and has a negative energy about him. He is a very bitter person and holds grudges against anyone even over small things. He was pretty much the reason why me and Cassidy decided to move out of this house. Zoe has had accidents in the house and we have been doing much better lately with her being potty trained. However, Zoe doesn't like this roommate very well and one night she pooped in his room. This roommate of mine FLIPPED OUT and was acting like a child over something so small (Zoe is a 10 lb dog so her poops aren't very big at all). We are also tired of taking care of everything in the house and feeling like we are coming up short for bills every month. Also, we lived about 30 minutes away from work and have been driving around 50 miles a day so we have been spending about $200 a month on gas. This crazy outburst pretty (combined with other stupid things that I don't have the time or energy to explain it all) was the last straw for us so we found a replacement for our room and moved out of the house in Kailua and found a small studio apartment right in town. It will definitely save us some money and with all the drama behind us we can live comfortably and quietly in our new spot :)

Unfortunately it took over a week for Oceanic Time Warner Cable to come by and set up our internet so I couldn't update my blog until then!

And then, of course, I have been so busy hanging out with my best friend Kelly Lang! For all who don't know Kelly she was my nurse at MD Anderson and is my age. Right from the start we felt like we had known each other for years and she not only helped me through my chemotherapy she came by on her days off and hung out with me. After I moved back to Oahu we made plans for her to come out to visit this summer. Since May 24th we have been having tons of fun with her showing her the island of Oahu! It has been so much fun and I am going to miss her so so much when she leaves tomorrow :( :( We have been hiking 4 times and going to the beach almost every day! Don't worry, I have been wearing 85 SPF and hanging out under the umbrella :) We hiked the pillboxes in Kailua that over looks Lanikai (beautiful view!), the Stairway to Heaven (1.4 miles roundtrip and 2,800 feet above sea level with an average incline of greater than 45 degrees!!), Koko Head trail (1,048 stairs in .8 miles and 1,200 feet elevation) and then ended with the Hanakapiai trail on the northshore of Kauai (4 miles up and down the Napali coast to a huge waterfall and then 4 miles back and a total of 25,000 steps taken!). I think it is safe to say that I am good for hiking for a little while and ready to rest my legs! I had a blast and I know Kelly did too. She saw the most beautiful parts of Kauai and Oahu and I can't wait for her to come back in December (I hope!) so that I can show her more of Kauai (2 days is not enough!) and also take her to all the best places to eat here (we didn't have time to go to my favorite places :( ). I love this girl so much and I am so thankful to have her here with me!

Right before we decided to move I got sick for the first time since my transplant. I was at work and had a headache and wasn't feeling very well so I went home early and as soon as I got into the car I got a fever. I got home and my temp was 102.5 degrees. I wasn't throwing up or coughing so I just took some tylenol and went to sleep. Cassidy was freaking out (my poor baby) and I told him we could go to the ER if my fever went above 103 degrees of didn't break by the morning. Luckily it broke and didn't go above 102.5 degrees. For the next couple of days I had a headache but other than that I was fine :) I got lucky! My first sickness since the transplant (1 1/2 years!) and it didn't get me down! I have been feeling great since then and have had no problems since :)

I am going to mess around with my blog and try to figure out how to put pictures on here. I would love to post the pictures we took of all of our hiking adventures.

I hope you all had a wonderful month of May and wasn't as crazy as mine! We finally have wifi at my apartment and won't be showing the island off to anyone soon so I will have a lot more time on my hands to keep up with my blog. Thank you everyone for your continuing support! I know I am not the best at keeping up with my updates but I promise to try harder to keep up. I don't know what I would do without all of your positive energy and constant love and support. Thank you Thank you! Aloha until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment!