Saturday, September 21, 2013

2 year cancerversary!

Hello!

So yesterday my immune system turned 2 years old! I can't believe that 2 years has already gone by since my stem cell transplant. I was bald, had gone through 3 rounds of chemotherapy and was about to go through the roughest months of my life. But I am thankful to say that even through the bad patches, weak days, low blood pressure, sick stomach, no taste buds (which then made everything taste horrible), no muscles, dry eyes and mouth, night sweats, menopause, hot flashes, brown hair and lots and lots of pills...I made it out alive, healthy and well. I now have new and stronger friendships, a finace, a puppy, and a closer family because of it. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Cassidy and I went out to dinner last night to celebrate my "birthday". We went to a nice restaurant called Kincaid's knowing that a friend of mine is usually working there. She was able to hook us up with two free appetizers (crab and artichoke dip and panko fried brie...nom nom nom) and $10 off the bill. We probably should've got appetizers for our meals since by the time we actually got our food (pasta for me, steak for cassidy) we only ate like...maybe half haha. It was a good night :)

My dad informed me yesterday that a friend of his died yesterday from AML. He was in his mid 60's and was diagnosed August 1st, 2013. After trying chemotherapy the doctor told him that his cancer was not responding and he never got into remission. Due to his immune system being down from the illness and chemotherapy he developed pneumonia that would never go away, thus disqualifying from any clinical trial or stem cell transplant. I feel for his family and friends and I hope that he passed away peacefully. It makes me realize how lucky I am that things went so well for me. I got into remission after the first round of chemotherapy. My brother was my match for my stem cell transplant. I didn't get infections. I didn't have any GVHD problems. This story reminds me that things could have gone a different way and I am thankful to have had the people around me to help me get through it. With Cassidy bringing me to the hospital to my mom being my caregiver and my brother donating his stem cells, I have had amazing support and I will forever be thankful and in your debt. Never take advantage of those around you...because you never know when life is going to get in the way and make you jump over obstacles.


I am still continuing my hormones and after talking to my doctor he agreed to not do the immunosuppressants since the hormones seem to be doing so well. I still plan to go back to Houston in January to see him and hopefully he will be suffice with how I'm doing and not prescribe me tacrolimus :) I have been taking my supplements to help with my Vitamin D and Calicum intake so I'm sure next year when I have another bone density scan I will see only good results across the board.


Here is a picture of me getting my stem cells. Thank you mom for taking this picture...I know I was resistant to it but now I wish I had taken more!

I am holding up the tube that has the stem cells going into my port in my chest. They are a light red/orangey color.

Me being embarrassed in front of the 10 doctors/interns that were in my room...luckily it only lasted 15ish minutes. 
Here is my doctor and a couple of the nurses/interns/doctors/team that were all in my little room to stare at me while I got my stem cells. Not. Awkward. At. All. O_O

Here is my mom attempting to extract Travy's stem cells with a GIANT needle =P

And here is Travis actually getting his stem cells taken out! Since he had one arm getting blood out of it (and then the white blood cells/stem cells are then filtered out) and the other one getting his blood put back in....we attacked him with super hero gear and announced to the world that this is STEM CELL MAN! Thanks Travy for everything and letting us dress you up while you couldn't move =D

More pictures to come...

Love you all,

Savy

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Savannah! I was reading a few of your posts and wanted to say Congrats on your 2 year cancerversary!! I just had a quick question about your blog and was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks : )

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment!