Monday, August 1, 2011

B positive?!

Happy birthday to my nana today! It was so great to have her here with me and I can't wait to see her in Florida this week!

So last week Lilja was here which made me so happy because I probably won't see her for a while (she goes to UH Manoa for her lasat semester then is moving to England for 5-6 months). On Thursday Cass, Lilja and I explored Hermann park at sunset. It is such a beautiful park and it reminded me of my and Lilja's adventures in the parks in London. We walked around, took pictures and enjoyed being outside for the first time in weeks (it's way too hot to be outside for long during the daytime). That week we saw Captain America and then Friday we saw Cowboys and Aliens. On Saturday we drove down to Pearland to visit her Aunt that just moved down there from California and we dropped by to say hello to my Aunt Drexel and Dorothy. We had to go to the airport right after and then Lilja was gone :( It was nice having a friend to hang out with again...I hope to meet someone here I can just hang out with now and then...

Yesterday my mom and I got the car we are borrowing all cleaned up and inspected. Cassidy's car should be in tomorrow so it will be nice having two cars. It hasn't been too hard dropping Cass off at work and working it out so that we aren't stranded somewhere. Having the shuttle that takes us to MD Anderson has been very helpful.

I saw the doctor on Friday (07/29/11) and it looked like my counts were already on their way back up. They said I may need a transfusion on Monday so they scheduled an appointment for me to get my blood counts checked before going to Florida. They never seemed to have a problem with me going and I have been getting very excited to see everyone at travis' graduation :) However, today (after waiting 2 hours) I found out that my counts dropped very low and not only do I need both blood and platelet transfusions but I might need them through the week as well. I leave on Wednesday for Florida which doesn't give us much time to get a lot done. They scheduled my transfusions for tonight (Monday) and to go in Tuesday and Wednesday morning to see if my bone marrow is making blood, platelets and WBC on its own yet or if I should prepare myself to get platelets or something while Im in Florida. I am on a neutrapenic diet again and kind of bummed that my blood tricked me into thinking that I was getting better before it plunged down. I just have to be aware of who is around me and be thankful that the flight to Florida is short.

Funny thing: I am getting my platelets set up and hear the nurse say that my blood type is B positive. Now, I thought this was odd because at Queens they told me I was O positive and I received many transfusions with O positive blood type. I thought maybe I misundestood her and thought nothing more of it. Then when it was time to start blood she said it again. I asked her if B positive was my blood type and she said yes. I said that's odd because when I was on Oahu (just a month ago) the nurses told me I was O positive. The nurse here said that they have typed me at least 5 times since I've been here at MD Anderson, and that type is B positive. Now, I've heard of blood types changing after a stem cell transplant but I didn't hear about it happening from chemotherapy. So I am going to email my doctor from Queens and my doc here to see what happened! so so strange! I guess I'm B positive now :P


Hopefuly this all goes smooth enough and I don't need transfusions in Florida. Luckily Big Tam is looking for labs that I might be able to go to in Tamps..that will be nice to have that information if I need it.

Sorry it's a short blog; my ipad battery is dying and I have another hour before my blood is finished. what to do with myself! I think I can handle an hour..I lasted three weeks staring off into space on a hospital bed :P

love you all and I'll let you know how my counts go :)

-sav

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a comment!